20180521 SIMPSON DESERT/HAY RIVER/MADIGAN LINE
15-09-2017, 08:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-09-2017, 07:45 PM by daggy.)
20180521 SIMPSON DESERT/HAY RIVER/MADIGAN LINE
Well, I thought it better to start a new thread for the 2018 Simpson Trip as the planning that Peter started has changed considerably.

Again like always, we start with a plan and  timings and try to work with these but sights to see, road conditions and that perfect camp site and turn everything upside down.

The rough plan is a trip departing Fraser Island on 21 May and returning to Brisbane sometime around 15-16 June.

Don't rule the trip out if you haven't got 4 weeks off.  This is a trip that still has a lot of planning and even as it stands at the moment there are points where you can meet up or jump off.

Without working out how many days from here to there.  The current plan is leave Fraser and travel to Longreach to Boulia cross into the Northern Territory on the Donohue/Plenty Highway.  Travel the Hay River Track to Poeppel Corner then East/West across the Simpson on the French Line to Mt Dare.  Onwards from Mt Dare and cross West East on the Madigan's Route to Birdsville.

What we know.  We would like to spend about 14 days in the desert.  It will be extremely remote with up to 1000 kilometres between fuel, food and water.

We need permits for Hay River Track (2017 $200 and $20 camp fee at Batton Hill, mandatory camp), Desert Parks Pass ($160) and Madigan Line (CLC permit, no charge).

We are lucky enough to have communication with somebody that had travelled these more remote tracks and lots of advice is being sought and provided.

Like all out trips into the desert there is explicitly NO trailers.   

If you interested in this trip,, please reply here.  Even if you're unsure you can make it, you're welcome to have input.

There is a lot of planning to be done and as such we would like to have a team meeting to discuss what everybody would like to get out of a trip like this.  The meeting will take place sometime in October or November.

Confirmed travellers are:
Darryl
Peter
Kris
Victor ?
Clint
18-09-2017, 08:59 PM,
RE: 20180521 SIMPSON DESERT/HAY RIVER/MADIGAN LINE
I'm keen
19-09-2017, 07:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-09-2017, 05:54 PM by troopiepete.)
Over the next few months we will explore a series of ideas on places to visit, times to travel and what you really want to see.
Please speak up sooner than later if there is something in the area we are travelling that you would really like to see - we do have a few spare days although don't forget plans do change during trips,
As an example the section of road after Boulia is well know for being crap, depending on how recent it has rained and been graded.

See attached.

Attached Files
.xls   Simpson trip 2018 From Fraser 20170919a.xls (Size: 60 KB / Downloads: 66)
20-09-2017, 07:09 PM,
I have been asked what is the rough plan for the trip, well here it is.

Fraser to Longreach, hoping to be here by Tuesday afternoon, to meet with anyone coming from Brisbane.

Continue onto Winton, here is the last of good roads that we can have good idea of travel times.

Now the holiday begins, turn left and travel through Middleton onto Boulia.

Travel the Donahue Highway to the Northern Territory, then the Plenty Highway to Jervois Station.

Then onto Batton Hill Station which is the start of the Hay River track.

Head South to Poeppel Corner then West on the French Line to Dalhousie Springs and Mt Dare area.

A couple of days exploring the area including some of the historic sidings on the Old Ghan line, Oodnadatta and the Lambert Centre to name a few.

Onto the Madigan Line and cross back to Birdsville and then return to Brisbane.

This trip will involve extended periods of isolation, no mobile service, no road side assistance, you will need to have sufficient water and most likely more fuel than you can carry in your vehicle fuel tanks.
23-09-2017, 08:35 PM,
Time for a meeting.  Xmas will be with us in a heatbeat and before we know it, i will be the end of January.  Therefore, we need to start to make some decisions in relation to the planning of this trip.

There will be a meeting for those that are coming and those that are still in the consideration stage.

My place at Forest Lake from 2.00pm on Saturday 14 October 2017.  Call/text/messenger me for the address or Peter Richens.
23-09-2017, 10:42 PM,
I plan on being at the Meeting..

Please think about what you want to see and do on this trip - we have a basic plan and know what we want to see but there are gaps that may get filled either by extras that you wish to see or things we come up with.

This will be an expensive trip permit wise!

Hay River Track - $200
SA Deserts pass - $160 - unless you already have one like the group that traveled with me this year.
12-10-2017, 06:45 AM,
Don't forget trip meeting at my place this Saturday 14/10 at 2p. If you dont know my address get in touch on messenger, phone, text or here.
This your chance to discuss what you want out of this trip.
This is not anybody in particulars trip. There are some that enjoy the experience of planning a trip but they need your input.
And as always the plan that we leave home is not the one that we come home on.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
12-10-2017, 11:42 AM,
Hello all

I think I have found Darryl's book in PDF form Idea it was too large to post here  and attch to an email, but the following is the url for the page and you can download it your self

https://ia801406.us.archive.org/27/items...00greg.pdf

have fun reading Big Grin
12-10-2017, 12:41 PM,
Thanks Les. I already have this. Thanks for posting for anybody else looking to read. Still looking for a reasonable prices hard copy.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
12-10-2017, 08:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-10-2017, 09:08 PM by daggy.)
Follow this link to a 1 hour video of the beginning of the Madigan Line at Old Andado to Geosurveyers Hill.  I really didn't expect what I watched, but it certainly helps with planning the vehicle prep side of things.  One major thing that said I would take from this is, 'You don't know that the conditions are until you get there
https://mr4x4.com.au/madigan-line-simpso...ideo-part/

Just found Part 2

https://mr4x4.com.au/watch-madigan-line-...o-part-ii/

Just watched par 2 it is jam packed with advertisements.  If you are able to fast forward there is about 30 minutes of footage that is worthwhile watching.
10-11-2017, 10:10 AM,
(12-10-2017, 08:24 PM)daggy Wrote: Follow this link to a 1 hour video of the beginning of the Madigan Line at Old Andado to Geosurveyers Hill.  I really didn't expect what I watched, but it certainly helps with planning the vehicle prep side of things.  One major thing that said I would take from this is, 'You don't know that the conditions are until you get there

Just found Part 2

Just watched par 2 it is jam packed with advertisements.  If you are able to fast forward there is about 30 minutes of footage that is worthwhile watching.

I'm a definite MAYBE.
13-11-2017, 05:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 13-11-2017, 06:02 AM by johnnyn.)
(10-11-2017, 10:10 AM)Goanna Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 08:24 PM)daggy Wrote: Follow this link to a 1 hour video of the beginning of the Madigan Line at Old Andado to Geosurveyers Hill.  I really didn't expect what I watched, but it certainly helps with planning the vehicle prep side of things.  One major thing that said I would take from this is, 'You don't know that the conditions are until you get there

Just found Part 2

I'm a definite MAYBE.

Hello simpsoners

Just thought all of you may like to know

The latest issue of 4X4 (407) Australia has a story about thew Madigan line across the simpson

Johnny
23-11-2017, 09:51 AM,
Here is some reference for you guys

they have some information on this site about 
  • daily itinerary as they travel from Birdsville to Mt Dare
  • a fully catered tag along tour and costs  but don't forget how yum the food is
  • a vehicle checklist in case you haven't thought of everything yet
  • even pictures of previous tours

https://www.moontours.com.au/tour/simpso...xpedition/

enjoy
23-11-2017, 11:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 23-11-2017, 12:37 PM by Goanna.)
(23-11-2017, 09:51 AM)sirlezz Wrote: Here is some reference for you guys

they have some information on this site about 
  • daily itinerary as they travel from Birdsville to Mt Dare
  • a fully catered tag along tour and costs  but don't forget how yum the food is
  • a vehicle checklist in case you haven't thought of everything yet
  • even pictures of previous tours

https://www.moontours.com.au/tour/simpso...xpedition/

enjoy

That's excellent info, thank you Les.
Their itinerary is interesting, as they're choosing to tackle the Madigan Line in East -> West direction (i.e the hard way).
Their vehicle check-list looks well thought out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20180520 - Proposed Simpson Deset trip troopiepete 5 3,277 01-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Weatherman