2018 Uluru, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs Winton
10-01-2018, 02:14 PM,
2018 Uluru, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs Winton
Well Finialy I have had time to put up a post on the 2 week Desert crossing and Ulura trip happening from June 2nd till 17th.

It looks like there are 5 cars confirmed with the main objection to walk the Rock pending on access.

We are hoping that we might be able to cross paths with the 4 week trip from Poppels Corner or on the other side at Dalhousie Springs before both trips head of on there main challengers ( Madigan Line, Ulura) 

This trip will start off on Saturday the 2nd from Brisbane heading straight out to Bridsville with the first night stop just out side Quilpie at a free camp then of to Birdsville for a pie and fuel.

Depending on what happens when we get to Uluru and if/when the climbers are able to traverse the Rock on what a direction and places to see.

After the rock we will be heading cross the Plenty Hwy towards Winton to stop of at the dinosaurs then on to Carnarvon Gorge before heading home.

I have attached a spreed sheet with the proposed trip as the outline/guide pending on how things go along the way.

If you have any questions or might be interested in coming along please reply to this post.

There will be a informal get together around end of May early April for all the travelers attending or wanting to attend.

Happy and Safe Travels.   Cool

.xlsx   2018 Trip Ularu 1.xlsx (Size: 11.5 KB / Downloads: 166)
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
24-01-2018, 01:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-01-2018, 03:20 PM by sirlezz.)
RE: 2018 Uluru, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs Winton
Well I have read up plenty on the Rock, 

places to camp etc. an I found a freebee with tree shade north of the rock just off the highway before Yulara and overlooking the rock  It is 10k as the crow flies and about 30min drive to base of  Uluru  Cool 
There is another rest area before this one  19k and has water and a shade area and a camping area out the back but it is bare as   Undecided

got a Rock mud map to look at as to give some ideas of the places to visit once we are there  Smile

.pdf   Uluru map.pdf (Size: 312.19 KB / Downloads: 61)

Also checking out some joy flights too  but not cheap and the airport is closer to the campsite too 10k

Ayers Rock Uluru is 348 metres high (that's a 95 story building). The climbing path is about 1.6 km long and can be treacherous. The first part has a chain to hold on to. It is a very strenuous climb (most of the over 35 deaths at Ayers Rock were due to heart attacks) and takes about two hours to complete.
Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
25-01-2018, 05:57 AM,
Just be wary on the "free" camps. If it is within the national park boundaries you are NOT allowed to camp and the ranger WILL shoo you on.

I speak from 1st hand experience unfortunately.
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute.......with a mod or 2............
25-01-2018, 12:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-01-2018, 12:36 PM by sirlezz.)
[attachment=2385 Wrote:Doc pid='4045' dateline='1516823862']Just be wary on the "free" camps. If it is within the national park boundaries you are NOT allowed to camp and the ranger WILL shoo you on.

Thanks for the tip and just checked it out on the map and all good Big Grin this camp is around 4k by crow and 10K by road from the National Park boundary that covers Uluru and Kata Tjuta National park Cool

Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
29-01-2018, 06:10 AM,
(25-01-2018, 12:30 PM)sirlezz Wrote:
(25-01-2018, 05:57 AM)Doc Wrote: Just be wary on the "free" camps. If it is within the national park boundaries you are NOT allowed to camp and the ranger WILL shoo you on.

Thanks for the tip and just checked it out on the map and all good Big Grin this camp is around 4k by crow and 10K by road from the National Park boundary that covers Uluru and Kata Tjuta National park Cool

Is that the camp fairly well where the lasseter hwy white dot is and about 2ish clicks off the hwy????
If so, that is the one of the camps I've heard is in contention as to it's location within the park. Rangers believe it is in the park, maps etc prove otherwise. Rangers out there are trained by the wanna be mall cop association........... Angel Big Grin Tongue  

I camped just before the bitumen coming in from the west on Great Central. Beaut stand of gums too with firewood aplenty but alas it was within the park (mind you, no sign coming it as to the park boundary). When I came back thru there a coupla years later, a brand spanker sign had been erected.
"If you're going out there, I'll give you a tip. It's wild and it's rough and you're in for a trip. But once you've gone this far off the track, you won't turn around, and you'll never look back."
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute.......with a mod or 2............
29-01-2018, 04:36 PM,
Thanks guys for your feed back regarding the Uluru trip, some interesting info to think about.

Les are you keen on coming?????

I'll be looking at having a meeting with all intending on coming along on this trip possible late Feb but most likely early March, I'll need to check my Calendar.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
30-01-2018, 09:26 AM,
Lock me in Eddie  Cool

I have my eldest son for sure coming with me on the dates provided as he has his holidays booked in now , and maybe my youngest son if his mother lets him go  Big Grin
Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
30-01-2018, 03:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2018, 04:31 PM by Weatherman.)
Sounds Good Les,

Ok so It looks like we have a good number of cars going on this trip, some new comers that haven't cross the desert as yet and some that did last years trip.

We have to remember that our objective is to get to climb the Rock, well the ones that want/able to.  Smile

The first 2-3 days will be the longest in the seat as this will set up the most available time we will have to climb in case it doesn't happen on the first morning we are there, I have allowed about 3 days to climb.

The start date i have is Saturday the 2nd on June but I'm looking at possible heading off on the Friday but only if all that are coming can managed that day off and can be packed by mid morning for a lunch time leave.

This will allow us to go to Judd's Lagoon as our first stop About 400ks and then head of Saturday into Quilpie (539ks)or possible Windora (+246ks) 

Explorers that have told me that they are lock in for this trip are 

Steve & Wendy                  D Max
Clint & Tanya & bub           Patrol (petrol) or Prado
Rod & Terri & Kalan           Triton
Shane & Deb                     100s Cruiser V8 Petrol
Les & Son/sons                 Pajero

Explorers that are keen for this trip

Brett & Sharon & kids       2011 Hilux 
Brett & Julie                     2017 Hilux              
Kurt & ?                           D max 
Paul Byrne Troopy

I would like to have a meeting some time before or trip but looking at my calendar I don't have a free weekend till March 31st (Easter) so it might have to be Saturday or Sunday the 7/8th April.

Let me know if the Saturday or Sunday would suit better to meet up and most possible it will be held at Clints place just of the Hwy at Ormeau.

Well it wont be long before we go as January has just about come and gone already.

Any questions pop them down here.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
07-02-2018, 10:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2018, 06:47 PM by sirlezz.)
Well i was talking to my daughter last weekend and she is keen to visit Uluru to this year to walk the Rock with us in June
so was looking up flights and accommodation for her and found this you might already know about 

Curtin Springs station which has some budget accommodation and meals plus free camping without power
It is 100kls from Uluru but has toilets and showers and did I say food a bar area and fuel

It is also on the way to Kings Canyon from the Rock so check it out on the following website

http://northernterritory.com/uluru-and-s...ayside-inn

It is a good contender for me now Big Grin
Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
10-02-2018, 01:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2018, 01:26 PM by sirlezz.)
Curtin springs Wayside Inn Description 

Wayside Inns are a name given to remote businesses that have long histories and have developed to provide a full range of services to visitors, many wayside inns are still family owned and operated.

As the first Wayside Inn in Central Australia, Curtin Springs offers a perfect base from which to visit the Ayers Rock and Kings Canyon areas.

Stay a while longer and ‘peel back the layers’ by including our experiences, tours and hospitality in your travel plans.

Enjoy our authentic homestyle meals, our lovely gardens and take an opportunity to unwind in what visitors refer to as an oasis.

The historic Bough Shed offers the perfect place for a cold beer, hot cuppa or a meal. Take the time to look through our family history and general information about what it takes to live in such a remote place, raise a family and run a business here.

The store is open from 7am until late every day of the year. We sell petrol, diesel, soft drinks, ice creams, food, souvenirs, tea and coffee as well as alcohol both to drink in or takeaway.

Accommodation: There are 27 accommodation rooms ranging from our budget rooms with shared bathroom facilities up to the family rooms with disabled bathrooms.

Meals: Our restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with meals served under the historic Bough Shed, the original homestead. Meals vary around the age-old favourite of a good steak. When possible we use our own meat in the multitude of delicious homestyle dishes that our cooks create. Please ask what dishes are made from Curtin Springs Beef today.

Curtin Springs Paper: 1 hour tours of the production area of Curtin Springs Paper run at 10.30am and 4pm every day.  Tour participants have exclusive access to the full range of Curtin Springs Paper products and The Gallery.

Campground:  We have a small number of powered sites and unlimited unpowered sites.  There is no charge for unpowered sites. We provide a range of services for tour groups from full dinner/bed/breakfast options to providing meals on their way through.  We pride ourselves in helping tours to keep to their schedules.

What else is here:  We have a wide range of native birds and parrots in our large aviaries. The birds are our legacy to Dawn (Peter’s wife, Ash’s Mum). After arriving in 1956, there was a 9 year drought.  Dawn was known to have said during that time; “I need to hear something that is not a crow or a galah”.  Peter acquired some parrots for her and the collection has grown ever since. They are highly prized members of our family.

Please check our facilities page which fully lists the other services available at the homestead.

Facility Available for guest use 
  • Store/bar - Yes, open 7am until late 365 days per year.
  • Licensed restuarant Yes, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • Light meals Yes, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day
  • Fuel ULP and Diesel are available.
  • Eftpos/credit card facilities Yes, minimum $20 spend and cash out is available.
  • Public phone Yes, public phones available using coin or phone card.
  • Mobile phone  coverage No Telstra mobile coverage, however we do have a small Optus satellite cell that gives limited Optus mobile coverage.
  • Internet access Two WIFI systems, one free and one WiFi has a small charge but gives a better range.
  • Pool/spa No.
  • Laundry facilities A coin operated washing machine and drier are available.
  • Camp kitchen No camp kitchen, but a BBQ area is available.
  • Disabled facilities The family rooms have full disabled bathrooms, disabled access to the rooms is available through temporary ramps at present.
  • Sewage dump point No, the nearest black water dump site is at Ayers Rock Resort
  • Smoke free facilities All the accommodation rooms, the store/bar, the historical Bough Shed dining area are all smoke free.
  • Airport The nearest commercial airport is Ayers Rock Resort. We do have an airstrip for small private planes. Please contact us for landing arrangements
Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
14-02-2018, 01:50 PM,
Thanks Les,

Sounds great and well worth a look while we are in the area. Hopefully we don't use up all our waiting days trying to climb the rock and we do have to stay somewhere but 100ks out might be to travel each morning back to the rock.

If we can get on the rock early we will differently look at a night here,  as you said it has a bar and food plus fuel  Cool Cool

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
15-02-2018, 11:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 15-02-2018, 12:03 PM by TRUSTY.)
Hi Guys,

Well i thought I'd better post on here.

I will have a look at the stops as I spoke with Les last night after meeting and he and I are thinking of doing Dig tree - so i just need to see how we could achieve that and then rendevous with you all.

I also need to check with missus  - in concept no probs, reality is i need new suspension and a long ranger tank ( regardless of trip but trip is a motivator),  but like everyone i have those lovely large  bills upcoming for insurances, ctp etc.

so if the calculator says OK - then im in. sorry i cant be more committed at this stage.

hopefully i can be in the next few weeks.

BTW 

what passes do i need for this trip? 
and where doi get em? 
How long in advance do ineed em?

TIA
Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life; get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!
19-02-2018, 12:40 PM,
Great News Paul, lets hope all your ducks line up in a row and you are able to come along on the trip.

You will need to get a Desert Pass that cost $160 and this covers all camping through the desert (SA) including Dailhousie Springs at the Western end of the Simpson.

I think we went on line about 3 weeks out and ordered and paid for the permit through the National Parks South Australia web site.

If you are talking with Peter between now and then ask him.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
23-02-2018, 07:04 PM,
The chatter is getting more serious in our household.  We are keen to join this trip. 
Most likely Chev & Tim with 2 kids along. Older kids may fly in for the rock climb.
24-02-2018, 09:06 PM,
(19-02-2018, 12:40 PM)Weatherman Wrote: Great News Paul, lets hope all your ducks line up in a row and you are able to come along on the trip.

You will need to get a Desert Pass that cost $160 and this covers all camping through the desert (SA) including Dailhousie Springs at the Western end of the Simpson.

I think we went on line about 3 weeks out and ordered and paid for the permit through the National Parks South Australia web site.

If you are talking with Peter between now and then ask him.

Cheers

well Its looking really good now - Mel has said OK and the mods have financial approval!

just need to discuss the dig tree option with Les to see if i can incorporate that and meet you guys at Birdsville
Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life; get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!
28-02-2018, 11:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 28-02-2018, 11:14 AM by TRUSTY.)
Well i have some good news to report - I have been granted official leave from the Missus to attend!

Even better - the new suspension and long range tank is being done over the next month so ill be able to enjoy the ride!

Thanks to Steve G as always - glad i can finally get some OL supplied  gear.

BTW i am seriously thinking of incorperating a dig tree trip off to the side - as is Les i believe,

so if anyone else is keen pls let us know.

PPS therefore we will prob leave a few days ahead of others - if so, happy for that to be two days in advance of the  friday  leaving date.

anyway if keen let me know - 0487 166 198

Cheers

Paul Byrne

btw Steve - is there a route planner / file  we can upload into google or hema?

ive created onebased upon your trip planner - but keen to see if a gps file exists....
05-03-2018, 03:12 PM,
Well it is looking like a few more people looking at coming along on the trip so that's great news, Just want to remind everyone even know we are mostly going to be on dirt roads we will still be crossing the Simpson Desert East to West (the hardest way to cross) so this trip has a No Trailer aloud as it will slow us done and make it hard to get over the steeper dunes with a trailer.

At the moment this trip will only require the SA Desert Park Pass that includes camping at Dalhousie Springs including camping in the desert. This pass cost $160 for a year, just search SA Desert Pass and follow the links to where you can sign up and pay for this pass. This doesn't need to be done yet but will need it at lest 30 plus days out but all the info will be on line.

We will be talking about both trips at the next meeting so if you have questing please come along and have a chat.

I believe with Paul saying he is coming and possible Tim and Family it looks like we will have about 7 cars traveling on this trip.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
05-03-2018, 03:37 PM,
Yep im coming along unless something work wise prevents me.
13-03-2018, 12:50 PM,
OK - update from my end.

1. Yes i am coming - it looks like ill have a break between contracts which suits me perfectly/
2. Suspension  upgrade complete!  a happy  owner here.
3. long ranger in by 4th april hopefully.

I am now planning to do the dig tree  and leave earlier  in the week - but without LES -  as the timing wont work out.

of anyone is keen please let me know - aim is to rendezvous with the main group at Birdsville - im hoping ot be there  the day before
13-03-2018, 01:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-03-2018, 01:56 PM by sirlezz.)
Okay all my ducks are in a row at the moment Cool and looks like I will be leaving from Bundaberg Friday night on my way to Birdsville for the rendevous Sunday 

Idea but instead of doing the desert run again I will be making a diversion down to Marree, Oodnadatta track and onto Marla to check out more of the good stuff (Tom Kruze mueseum, more old Ghan railway stations, drive out on the lake oops already done that haha, and check out the museum at Oodnadatta too) these I missed first time through last year 

And then plan to  meet up with the main mob at Uluru for the Wednesday night camp Big Grin

If this side option suits anyone else please let me know or we can discuss it at this Wednesday Meeting Huh
Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
19-03-2018, 05:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-03-2018, 05:04 PM by TRUSTY.)
ok , so i know no one is keen on joining me beforehand at the dig tree and haddons corner - however; i attach a google map of my proposed trip - syncing in with what i think Steve you were planning for us as a group.

my Questions are:

1. will we / can we see the  leaderman center and  chambers pillar on the way past Finke? It owuld be a shame not so see it if we are there.
2. have i got the route basically right? i know there may be some cut throughs and google doesnt show all roads eg finke to uluru / haddon Corner from dig tree

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Chelm...150622!3e0
23-03-2018, 11:19 AM,
Hi Guys 

Looking good for a trip out west - You WILL see water and some of the normally dry salt lakes WILL be wet and Boggy so expect to get bogged and possibly take you up to a day longer to cross the Desert, there are some bypass tracks that will see you cross on the outer edge of the lakes but obviously these will take you further off track.

Few things to remember.

If Eyre creek is flowing there will be a bypass track, in 2010 this headed south a short distance and was a deep crossing - we renamed it number plate creek as half of our 9 vehicles lost there front plates - so either remove them or tie the bottoms down as they will flip up!
Also you WILL need a sealed snorkel - not all Snorkels are created equal - the one on my Troopy was not sealed correctly - most are not so take it off and look at the joints - silicon is your Friend.

Also finally take ground cover - shade cloth is the best but be prepared to store it outside of your vehicle as it WILL get dirty.

Have fun Guys and I am looking forward to our trip.
Regards, Peter
Ham Radio - VK4FSD
Aussie HF Club - 4115
Past President 2010 - 2014
Secretary 2017-18

28-03-2018, 01:01 PM,
For those who are inclined to read about where they are going

I have a Alice Springs Uluru driving guide that has some local attractions you might not know about yet

it is a form of daily travellling itineraries with different options so it repeats itself a bit

But other than that it has lots of uselfull information on the Rock and surrounds and rates what is worth seeing and doing 

.pdf   Alice-Uluru-Driving-Guide.pdf (Size: 5.85 MB / Downloads: 46)
Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
28-03-2018, 04:59 PM,
Thanks Les,

Very good read and I had some of the Rest/camp stop marked down closer to the Rock.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
29-03-2018, 07:20 PM,
You know the Fink Desert race is on during these dates?
03-04-2018, 10:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2018, 10:53 PM by sirlezz.)
Thanks for the heads up  Idea

Good News is that we should be at Uluru climbing the rock while the Desert Race is being run  The Race is June 8-11 and they won't be shutting the Finke road down until Saturday 9th until late Sunday 10th.  I rang them Big Grin

But for those interested I got the map for the race and it looks good for us anyway as they are not using the road we will be on  if we go to Lambert Centre from Finke and onto the Rock etc

looks like a shit hot race though  Cool

Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
03-04-2018, 06:39 PM,
Thanks Lez,

Thanks Voodoo

That race would be an awesome sight to see.

BTW i am reviewing the dates and so forth  and my availability - i am actually thinking of tagging along with Lez from the dig tree - and meeting up with you all in Uluru - anyway  can discuss  at next meeting.

cheers
06-04-2018, 12:39 PM,
Hi Guys,

Yes getting closer to the departure date  Big Grin Yes I was aware of the Fink Race as I'm in the off road and Bike circle and Yes it would be good to go and get dust in the hair, eyes and up the nose it will have to wait for an other time. As all are properly aware there is water moving towards the desert at the moment and some of us are watching with eager eyes but will know more closer to the leave date. It looks like the 4 week trip has once again changed there trip direction which by the looks they wont be crossing the desert from Birdsville as previous planed as we would have called the day before our crossing to received info on the conditions or any detours. Well hope all preparations are moving along well for everyone as this year is flying by, I my self don't have any sleeping arrangements at the moment as I have sold my Darchee RTT and hoping to have a new Clam Shell by end of this month.

Any way More talking will be done at the next meeting on both trips and I'll have a LARGE Hemma Map to look at.

Cheers All
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
12-04-2018, 03:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-04-2018, 09:41 AM by TRUSTY.)
Hi All,

It was great to see everyone last night ( and  a pop top troopy to boot). Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

FYI - I have updated Les on the meeting chat, so all good.

I wish to confirm that I will meet you all 'on the other side' of the Simpson.

Les and I will do dig tree, Oodnadatta etc, and aim to meet up with you all around Uluru / Curtin springs etc.

Les may also have a sat phone - and has HF. we will keep you updated and I will come along to the trip planning session when its  locked in.

As you said Steve, timings are a bit flexible - we may actually pop into Lambert centre ourselves from the other way - again time permitting.

Anyway - Les is looking at coming through via St george,  then via noccundrea etc so will bypass Birdy.

of course  always subject to conditions - but thats our plan!

please keep us both posted of the planned meet up in Ormeau as I still wish to attend
17-04-2018, 10:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 17-04-2018, 10:21 AM by Weatherman.)
OK Travelers,

If you haven't gone online to purchase your desert Park pass as yet IT'S TIME you do so as you need to apply no earlier than 60 days of entering the Simpson and no later than 20 days out and we are 6 1/2 weeks out.  Big Grin   

Just search Simpson desert Permits and the one needed is the $160 that is Mandatory, this pass will cover us camping upto 21 days through the Simpson Desert and includes camping at Dalhousie Springs at the western side of the desert.

As Mentioned we will have a Group meeting on Sunday the 6th at Clints house 2pm at Ormeau where if you still have question we can try to answer them for you. We will mostly be talking about times and trip route and by then might have more current road conditions.

I'm working on a Spreed sheet to show distance per day but remember this will be a Guide only as this will most likely change during the trip pending on track condition and travel times with the group.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
17-04-2018, 04:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-04-2018, 04:44 PM by Weatherman.)
OK Just a update on the Group and who and how many of us are going.

Steve & Wendy                                                        D max                                                   RTT
Clint & Tanya plus Riley 10yrs? & Jack 7mths           NEW 79 Duel Cab Monster Truck           30sec tents
Les & 1 or 2 sons                                                     Might Mitch PAJ                                    Awning tent I think
Paul  going Solo                                                      Troopy                                                  Troopy because you can 
Chevron & Tim Plus  Caitie 15 & Zac 11                   Patrol                                                    3x3 Gazebo tents plus Hub off side  
Shane & Deb                                                           100s Petrol                                            RTT
Brett & Julie                                                            Hi Lux & KTM dirt bike                            Tent
Denis & Kim                                                            Pop top Troopy                                      Troopy because you can 
Jason & Daughter Sam 17                                              Triton                                                     Awning Tent 

Ok it looks like a lot but remember that Les and Paul will be meeting up with the main group in the west somewhere near Uluru.

We will have 7 4bys crossing the desert which shouldn't be an issue, time will tell but we will have a play on Big Red before we get into the desert so you will get a feel of the sand.

Ok I'll work on the Spreed sheet next and try to have that sorted out before end of next week if not earlier.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
18-04-2018, 04:32 PM,
Thanks Steve,

yep meeting you all near Curtin springs / Uluru.

on way back, around Winton ill probably stay  back as well with Les to have a good look around Dinosaurs etc.

still following you homewards but may stay a few days longer  because its so far away and  i can.
19-04-2018, 10:50 AM,
Hi Guys

I have looked up some things to do in and around the Dinosaur Trail country once we get there, and there is plenty to do on the way through, so you can spend some time getting to as many as you want on your way to Carnarvon Gorge

You can buy a pass to get you into all four Dino sites with one lower price

I myself am planning to do all four Dino sites and visit Porcupine Gorge which is only 60ks  out of Hughenden

This is a little list of stuff to do starting in Winton and seeing all the good sites

Winton
  • Waltzing Matilda Centre – Museum Banjo Patterson and Qantas
  • Lark Quarry – Dinosaur Tracks and Fossils in ground as found - 110kls south of town
  • Musical Fence – with playable drum kit - on the outskirts of Town
  • Age of Dinosaurs – is a learning centre for people to excavate bones from rock - is on the way to Longreach
  • Heritage Truck and Machinery Museum
  • 2 Free camps southern out of town with NO toilets
Hughenden
  • Flinders Discovery Centre – More Fossils and other stuff
  • Porcupine Gorge Nation Park – Grand Canyon of Australia
  • Free camp in town at big Rest stop with toilets
Richmond
  • Kronosaurus corner – Marine fossil displays
  • Fossil Hunting Sites – ability to dig up fossils
  • Free camp in town with toilet
Longreach
  • Stockmans Hall of Fame
  • Qantas
  • Captain Starlight's Lookout
  • Powerhouse Museum
  • Free camps both sides of town with toilets
Dinosaur pass will get you into all four dinosaur trail sites – check it out here
http://www.australiasdinosaurtrail.com/adtpass

[url=http://www.australiasdinosaurtrail.com/adtpass][/url]
Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
19-04-2018, 10:54 AM,
thanks Les
21-04-2018, 02:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-04-2018, 03:01 PM by sirlezz.)
Climbing Uluru for those who wish to  Cool

You can buy your desert pass on the way into the National Park boundary and they will tell you what  or if any restrictions there are on that day

The best official information I could get is as follows and mainly for safety reasons

The climb is closed:
  • when the temperature reaches 36 degrees Celcius or above
  • during the hot summer months December, January and February after 8am
  • when there is a greater than 20% chance of rain within three hours
  • when there is a greater than 5% chance of thunderstorms within three hours
  • if the estimated wind speed at the summit reaches 25 knots or above
  • if more than 20 per cent of the rock's surface is wet after rain
  • if cloud descends below the summit
  • the climb may also be closed for cultural reasons

THE CLIMB WILL CLOSE FOR GOOD ON 26 OCTOBER 2019

Base Walks

However in addition to the climb there is so much to see walking the base and discovering the rock art, pools, tracks, cave and wave formations which can take you up to more than half a day just doing this alone

Yalara Resort Centre

This is located just out of the National Park on our way in and has lots of places to eat especially at sunset and watch the light go down on  the big rock  and even has an IGA supermarket tucked away too so good to know

While I was browsing information I did find the following quite interesting as the local aboriginals have traditional names for places on or around the Rock, but not one just for the rock?  

Uluru: The Original Name
https://traveloutbackaustralia.com/uluru-aboriginal-name.html/

The Aboriginal name for Ayers Rock is Uluru.
  • Uluru is a Yankunytjatjara word. Yankunytjatjara is the name of the Aboriginal people whose land Ayers Rock is located on.
  • Uluru is not just the name of Ayers Rock itself, but also of the country around Ayers Rock.
  • Uluru is in fact the name of a large tract of land where a particular sub-group of Yankunytjatjara people (anthropologists call this an ‘estate group’) live.
What Does Uluru Mean?

Uluru is first and foremost a place name.

It does not have any specific meaning, although it may have some connection to the Yankunytjatjara words for ‘crying’ and ‘shadows’.

As I really wanted to know what the word meant, I asked Senior Traditional owners, Reggie and Cassidy Uluru and well known Alice Springs historian, Richard (Dick) Kimber, about the meaning of Uluru.

After a few ignorant comments on this post, I asked several Yankunytjatjara people who are highly skilled language interpreters about the meaning as well.

They all told me that Uluru was the name of the place and that it had no specific meaning.

I also read through the writings of Charles Mountford, one of the first anthropologists to live and work with Yankunytjatjara and Luritja people and the books of Bill Harney (the first ranger at Ayers Rock).
I consulted the anthropological work of Robert Lawton, who worked on land claims in the area during the 1970s.
Here’s what THEY had to say about the meaning of Uluru:

Mountford worked with Aboriginal people at Ayers Rock in the 1930s and 1940s. He records that Uluru is both the name of a Dreaming ancestor, a snake, AND the name of a rockhole that is a Men’s Sacred site located on top of the Rock.

Traditionally, only initiated senior men could climb the Rock and visit this special site (this fact is often hidden from public knowledge, but is there in historical and anthropological records for anyone to discover.)

Bill Harney arrived at Uluru in the late 1950s. He was told by the Aboriginal custodians of Uluru that it was a place name.

Robert Lawton was the anthropologist who interviewed all of the old people for the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park Land Claim. He also established that Uluru was a place name.

After doing this research, asking Senior Yankunytjatjara people and ethnographic experts, the evidence suggests that the Aboriginal name for Ayers Rock, Uluru, is indeed a place name with no specific meaning.

[Image: uluru5.jpg]

Some Aboriginal people I spoke with thought the connection to ‘crying’ or ‘wailing’ might have been associated with ‘Yulara’, which is the name of the township where Ayers Rock Resort is located.

Furthermore, there are several named places on the south western side of the Rock (near the Park HQ) which refer to shade or shadows. (The ‘ul-‘ sound refers to shade or shadow in several Central Australian Aboriginal languages).

So, whilst there could be some connection of the word ‘Uluru’ to shadows or shade, the Aboriginal men I spoke with did not suggest this.

So we can conclude that just as Niagara Falls is the name of a place, or London or the Amazon River, so too is Uluru.

It does NOT mean ‘Earth Mother’.

It does NOT mean ‘big rock’.

It does NOT mean ‘island mountain’. (This is an error lifted from a description on a topographical map!)

It does NOT mean ‘Rainbow Dreaming’ or ‘Heart Chakra’ or any other New Age nonsense.
If you are using my page as a source for your own webpages, please make sure that you don’t promote any of the myths about Uluru’s name. Feel free to use this information, knowing that it is the real truth.

enjoy  Big Grin
Thanks
Les
Secretary 2012/2017
Ham VK4FAEB
22-04-2018, 02:21 PM,
Hello Uluru Climbers,

How many cars/travellers are going from The Olgas into Westralia and going back to Queensland via Perth?

Regards Bennie
24-04-2018, 01:06 PM,
Thanks Les, As always a great read of the info you find.

Hi Bennie, No one is heading any further west than the Olgas  as we will be heading through Kings Canyon (if time permits) after Visiting Uluru towards Alice Springs and on to the Plenty Hwy towards home.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
26-04-2018, 02:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-04-2018, 02:43 PM by Weatherman.)

.xlsx   2018 Uluru Trip.xlsx (Size: 35.06 KB / Downloads: 48) OK I have had time to tidy up the Spreed sheet containing the Guide details for our trip and have attached it to here. Just remember this is a guide for the trip and can and most likely change through out the weeks.

Les as you will see we will have time up our sleeves around the Rock and later in the second week around Winton and Carnarvon George to explore other location.

Don't forget we will be having a group get together Sunday the 6th 2pm at Clint and Tanya House at 39 Peachey road Ormeau, MIDDLE Drive way. Please if you can't make it please let me know on here or on the Messager Group Chat or call me on 0430003868.

Not long to go know so I know some have all ready started cooking food and freezing it and others are walking around the shopping center looking for Ideas, I my self are just waiting to get a new RTT and we should be ready. As we all know Clint is still running around like a made man trying to finish his new truck build in 6 weeks from purchasing his new 79s.

Ok Some of the things we do know, we are meeting at the BP Servo at Blacksoil 12pm for a 12:30pm leave and heading to Judds Logon for our first night setup with a earlish departure time properly around 8:30 with a big day drive ahead of us and I'm hoping to get past Quilpy and close to Windora as possible. We will have 2 nights in the desert instead off one as its just to good not to stay and experience the sun set and raise. After that it will be up to the group on how we travel so don't be shy to speck up when question are asked about traveling times and how you are going.

Well hopefully you can have a look through the Spreed sheet and get an Idea on our plans and the areas we will be traveling to and if you have question please feel free to ask away on here or bring them to the Meeting on the 6th.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
26-04-2018, 08:32 PM,
(19-04-2018, 10:50 AM)sirlezz Wrote: Hi Guys

I have looked up some things to do in and around the Dinosaur Trail country once we get there, and there is plenty to do on the way through, so you can spend some time getting to as many as you want on your way to Carnarvon Gorge

I myself am planning to do all four Dino sites and visit Porcupine Gorge which is only 60ks  out of Hughenden

This is a little list of stuff to do starting in Winton and seeing all the good sites

Winton
  • Lark Quarry – Dinosaur Tracks and Fossils in ground as found - 110kls south of town
  • Age of Dinosaurs – is a learning centre for people to excavate bones from rock - is on the way to Longreach
Hughenden
Richmond
Longreach
  • Stockmans Hall of Fame
  • Qantas
  • Powerhouse Museum
Dinosaur pass will get you into all four dinosaur trail sites – check it out here

Hi Les

The Dino trill is full on and a trip in it's self - defiantly worth doing..

Porcupine Gorge is a beautiful area but the walk down to the river is very steep, not sure on the current arrangements but years back when we visited it was half book online and half pay as you go - only issue was someone had camped in our site!

What I found interesting is the change of Dino as you travel - The Winton area is all large land based beasts while the Richmond are are mostly all water or sea based..
Don't forget to visit the old Uranium mine site although I would not recommend swimming in the blue lake.
Regards, Peter
Ham Radio - VK4FSD
Aussie HF Club - 4115
Past President 2010 - 2014
Secretary 2017-18

01-05-2018, 07:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2018, 07:11 PM by bennie.)
(26-04-2018, 08:32 PM)troopiepete Wrote:
(19-04-2018, 10:50 AM)sirlezz Wrote: Hi Guys

Winton
Hughenden
Richmond
Longreach
  • Stockmans Hall of Fame
  • Qantas
  • Powerhouse Museum

Hi Les

The Dino trill is full on and a trip in it's self - defiantly worth doing..

Porcupine Gorge is a beautiful area but the walk down to the river is very steep, not sure on the current arrangements but years back when we visited it was half book online and half pay as you go - only issue was someone had camped in our site!

What I found interesting is the change of Dino as you travel - The Winton area is all large land based beasts while the Richmond are are mostly all water or sea based..
Don't forget to visit the old Uranium mine site although I would not recommend swimming in the blue lake.

Ok ULURU Climbers,

Maybe will have a visitor staying at my place for 3 or 4 months and was thinking about showing ULURU and experiencing KATA TJUTA also. But when nobody takes the Great Central Rd or Gunbarrel Hwy, it will be better for me to stay all the way on the blacktop. Have done the Birdsville and Oodnadatta track till William Creek already years ago.

The only new section for me would have been the dirt section of Plenty Hwy and also Donohue Hwy to Winton.

Most likely it would be a slow going trip for us with a great radius around Lake Eyre with visits to Adelaide and Alice Springs and surroundings. And maybe further up north towards Darwin along Stuart Hwy when the weather gets colder. So regarding meeting up at ULURU, don't wait for us when you are about to climb it.

Have a happy trip.

Regards Bennie
30-05-2018, 04:17 PM,
Hi there Simpson Desert/Uluru travelers, 

Well not long know just one more day of work then our 2 week trip across the Simpson Desert over to Uluru starts. With the other group somewhere in the desert already on there 4 week trip having a ball I guess as we haven't heard from them for a while now.

Pending on how they have traveled we might catch up with them around Dailhousie or Mt Dare next Tuesday/Wednesday before they head off to start the Madigan Line which they will be spending about 8 days to travel this Iconic 4WD track back to Birdsville.

Well till we return have fun as I know we will.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
30-05-2018, 04:40 PM,
Hi all,

I have updated our Trip Guide sheet to reflect the changes made to more closer to how we are likely to travel each day but remember it's only a guide and can and most likely will change as we go along.

.xlsx   2018 Uluru Trip.xlsx (Size: 35.04 KB / Downloads: 13)
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017
30-05-2018, 05:24 PM,
the flies are horrendous apparently - make sure you take   one of those head mesh thingy's

Have fun.
31-05-2018, 03:11 PM,
It will be to cold for the flies by the time we get out there so should be all good.

Do have the Hat fly screens just in case as bought them for last year but didn't need them.

Cheers
Happy 4wding

Steve (Weathermen)

President  2014 - 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mad Hay Simpson trip 2018 troopiepete 0 312 08-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Last Post: troopiepete
  2018 Cape York daggy 5 4,169 29-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Last Post: daggy